Re: [Media Summit] ChromeOS Kernel CAM

Hi Ricardo,

On Fri, Sep 09, 2022 at 10:39:36AM +0200, Ricardo Ribalda wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Sept 2022 at 10:00, Maxime Ripard wrote:

> > > As Laurent says, the latest hardware is very similar to GPUs, you pass
> > > a set of commands to a firmware that does the actual R/W to the
> > > hardware.
> >
> > For the latest, most powerful, hardware, maybe. I can show you plenty of
> > other ISP we'll need to support that aren't programmed that way, and in
> > that case we would end up interpreting whatever is being passed to KCam
> > on the CPU.
>
> Kcam is not meant to replace V4L2, if a hardware is better modeled in
> V4L2, they can use it.
>
> > Which is totally different to what DRM/Mesa is doing on *any* hardware.
> >
> > Another constraint that Mesa has is that there is standards user-space
> > API that all the applications target when it comes to graphics (OpenGL,
> > Vulkan, Direct3D, etc.) and you need to support pretty much all of them.
> > So in that sense, Mesa is a transpiler between that API and the GPU ISA.
> > We're not in this case either with Kcam.
>
> We also have APIs for cameras: V4L2, Android HAL, libcamera,
> one-of-the-many-industrial-APIs
>
> The userspace stack will transpile between that API and the ISP command buffers.
>
> > > For hardware that is a register set, the vendor should have a good
> > > idea about what kind of validation should be needed: raw access (deny
> > > list) or more abstracted (allow list).
> >
> > This would be similar to what is going on with regmap caches. And they
> > are a pain to deal with because that information is far from being
> > available for all the devices, and then most drivers don't implement it
> > either.
> >
> > Also, if we have to have a whitelist in the kernel, then we need to
> > introduce and upstream some kind of driver for hardware enablement.
> > Doesn't that completely defeat the purpose of Kcam?
>
> The allowlist model that I mention is not about filtering what
> registers can be written and what not. It is about abstracting them
> completely if you do not trust the hardware:
>
> Lets say that you only have 4 verified modes (like we have on many
> sensors), then you expose a single register with 4 valid values:
> 0,1,2,3. The driver will convert that single register write into N
> writes to registers.

Continuing my quest to try to get everybody to understand the proposal
the same way: "register" is a very bad term for this. It's widely
understood to mean hardware registers by the target audience of the API,
so we should use a different term for the abstract/synthetic parameters
that the API exposes to userspace.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart