Re: [Media Summit] Imaging Sensor functionality

Hi Laurent

On Tue, 6 Sept 2022 at 18:53, Laurent Pinchart
<laurent.pinchart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> On Tue, Sep 06, 2022 at 05:14:30PM +0100, Dave Stevenson wrote:
> > Hi All.
> >
> > I realise that I'm in a slightly different position from many mainline
> > Linux-media developers in that I see multiple use cases for the same
> > sensor, rather than a driver predominantly being for one
> > product/platform. I'm therefore wanting to look at generic solutions
> > and fully featured drivers. Users get to decide the use cases, not the
> > hardware designers.
>
> Could you clarify here what you mean by users and hardware designers ?
> Users can be understood as
>
> - Users of the camera sensor, i.e. OEMs designing a product
> - Users of the hardware platform , i.e. software developers writing
>   applications
> - Users of the software, i.e. end-users

Users of the software.

Particularly on the Pi you have people using libcamera apps or Python
bindings that want to be able to choose modes of operation without
having to make kernel driver modifications.
I generally don't mind if that is through userspace or DT, but the
functionality should be exposed.

As an example, when the strobe signals were exposed for IMX477 we had
people hooking up various high intensity strobe devices and other
weird contraptions for synchronised events [1]. Can we replicate that
sort of open-ended functionality in a standardised way within sensor
kernel drivers so that the drivers are not constraining the use cases?

> Hardware designers could then equally mean
>
> - Sensor vendors
> - SoC vendors
> - Board vendors
> - Product vendors

All of the above.

For those Product Vendors designing specific products based on an SoC
and imaging sensor, if there is a defined mechanism that end users can
get to, then they can also use it to configure their specific use
case. Both cases therefore win. Hard coding their product's use case
in a mainline driver limits other use cases.

  Dave

[1] https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=281913