Re: Remote that breaks current system

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 01:13:22PM -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 12:42 PM, Christoph Bartelmus <lirc@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Hi!
>> >
>> > Jon Smirl "jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx" wrote:
>> > [...]
>> >
>> > It has nothing to do with start bits.
>> > The Streamzap remote just sends 14 (sic!) bits instead of 13.
>> > The decoder expects 13 bits.
>> > Yes, the Streamzap remote does _not_ use standard RC-5.
>> > Did I mention this already? Yes. ;-)
>>
>> If the remote is sending a weird protocol then there are several choices:
>>   1) implement raw mode
>>   2) make a Stream-Zap protocol engine (it would be a 14b version of
>> RC-5). Standard RC5 engine will still reject the messages.
>>   3) throw away your Stream-Zap remotes
>>
>> I'd vote for #3, but #2 will probably make people happier.
>
> Hm. Yeah, I know a few people who are quite attached to their Streamzap
> remotes. I'm not a particularly big fan of it, I only got the thing off
> ebay to have the hardware so I could work on the driver. :) So yeah, #3 is
> probably not the best route. But I don't know that I'm a huge fan of #2
> either. Another decoder engine just for one quirky remote seems excessive,
> and there's an option #4:
>
> 4) just keep passing data out to lirc by default.

That's a decent idea. Implement the mainstream, standard protocols in
the kernel and kick the weird stuff out to LIRC. We can avoid the
whole world of raw mode, config files, etc. Let LIRC deal with all
that. If the weird stuff gets enough users bring it in-kernel.  Maybe
StreamZap will suddenly sell a million units, you never know.

It is easy to implement a StreamZap engine. Just copy the RC5 one.
Rename everything and adjust it to require one more bit. You'll have
to modify the RC5 to wait for a bit interval (timeout) before sending
the data up. If you want to get fancy use a weak symbol in the
StrreamZap engine to tell the RC5 engine if Stream Zap is loaded. Then
you can decide to wait the extra bit interval or not.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx