Re: Proposal: removal of old vb1 or custom streaming I/O drivers

Hello,

On Wed, Aug 10, 2022 at 12:24:16PM +0200, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Em Wed, 10 Aug 2022 10:18:56 +0200 Hans Verkuil escreveu:
>
> > We have the following drivers still using vb1:
> >
> > PCI: saa7146, bt8xx, cx18
> > USB: zr364xx, tm6000
> > platform: ti/davinci/vpfe_capture, nxp/fsl-viu
> > staging: atomisp
> >
> > And these drivers rolls their own streaming I/O implementation:
> >
> > pci: meye
> > usb: cpia2
> > staging: stkwebcam (deprecated, to be removed by the end of the year)
> >
> > I think we should bite the bullet and move all of these drivers to staging,
> > mark them deprecated and delete them some time next year if nobody will
> > convert them to vb2.
> >
> > That includes atomisp: is that going anywhere? Unless someone does the
> > hard work of converting it to vb2 I think it should be removed as well.
>
> There have been improvements at atomisp driver. Hans de Goede has been
> doing some work. As far as I understand, he's planning to get VB2 and
> libcamera support for it. I'm also working on it when I have some spare
> time available.

That looks like a project that will take a few lifetimes, but as long as
I don't have to work on it myself, that's fine with me :-)

I don't think it's a blocker anyway, if we move vb1 drivers to staging,
and hopefully the vb1 core too, then atomisp2 will just be with all its
vb1 cousins.

> > The two drivers most likely to still be in use somewhere are bt8xx and
> > cx18. If it turns out that we can't remove them (yet), then I can probably
> > justify the time to convert cx18 to vb2 myself.
>
> Yeah, bt8xx is probably still widely used, specially on analog camera
> multi-port capture scenarios. Not sure about cx18 usage those days.
>
> IMO, once we get bt8xx, atomisp (and maybe cx18) converted to VB2, it
> should be OK to remove the other drivers.
>
> For now, we can move them to staging, adding a TODO explaining that they
> should be ported to VB2 or they'll be removed.

Sounds good to me, staging is the right way out.

> Scheduling removal to the end of the year is probably not doable, as
> the patch moving them to staging would be merged only around Oct.
> We should grant at least two Kernel cycles for people to convert the
> drivers - assuming that someone would do that for some driver(s).
>
> > And for bt8xx I would probably be willing to convert it to vb2 as well,
> > provided we can strip the overlay support from the driver (since, if memory
> > serves, vb2 doesn't support that) and convert it to vb2. It's a big job, though.
>
> It sounds OK on my eyes to remove overlay support from bt8xx during VB2
> conversion. We should probably add a warning about such removal before
> that (see below).
>
> > One other thing we can do is to deprecate/remove video capture overlay support
> > (in the sense of video capture hardware writing directly to a framebuffer).
> >
> > It's supported by saa7146, bttv, saa7134 and fsl-viu. If we remove vb1
> > drivers, then that would leave only saa7134 that still supports it.
> >
> > Removing the API will simplify things.
>
> It probably makes sense to add an error-level printks, printed only once,
> when someone uses VIDIOC_OVERLAY ioctl, warning that this is a deprecated
> feature that will be removed soon, for the drivers that still supports it.
>
> For sure once we get rid of the VB1 drivers that use overlay, it makes
> sense to also remove its support for saa7134. Maybe even before ;-)

\o/ I'd be happy to see the V4L2 code base shrink for once.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart