Re: Tackling the indefinite/user DMA fence problem

Hi,

On Wed, 25 May 2022 at 15:07, Simon Ser <contact@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 25th, 2022 at 15:51, Daniel Vetter <daniel@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > You can add that to the list of reasons why compositors need to stop
> > > using buffers with unsignaled fences. There's plenty of other reasons
> > > there already (the big one being that otherwise slow clients can slow
> > > down the compositor, even if the compositor uses a high priority context
> > > and the HW supports preemption).
> >

> > Yeah that's tbh another reason why I think we shouldn't do umf as a
> > transparent thing - compositors need to get better anyway, so we might as
> > well take this as a chance to do this right.
>
> As a compositor dev, I agree -- we should definitely be smarter about
> this. Note, it would help a lot to have a good way to integrate the
> waits into a poll(2) event loop.

The same holds for Weston. We're currently working through a bunch of
internal infrastructure to be able to handle this. Mutter (aka GNOME)
is also really well-placed to be able to do this.

Having pollable waits would be really useful, but I don't think it's
essential. In my strawman I'm just waking up at the usual
just-before-repaint point and checking; if it doesn't make it for this
frame then we'll wait for the next frame. If someone submits buffers
which take 4 repaint periods to clear then we'll have 3 'unnecessary'
wakeups, but given the GPU is already slammed then it's not an
efficiency problem I don't think. (I don't know if all the other
compositor people share this view.)

Cheers,
Daniel