Re: RFC: Use of s_std calling s_freq when tuner powered down

Hi Andy,

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 9:23 AM, Andy Walls <awalls@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> At the risk of missing something obvious:
>
> In your bridge driver's VIDIOC_S_STD ioctl()
>
> a. power up the analog tuner if it is not already
> b. call s_std for the subdevices (including the tuner),
> c. power down that analog tuner if not using the tuner input.
>
> No I2C errors in the log and the tuner is powered down when not in use,
>
> IMO, VIDIOC_S_STD is not a timing critical operation from userspace and
> it doesn't happen that often.  You can also filter the cases when
> VIDIOC_S_STD is called on the same input, but the standard is not being
> changed.

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback.

It's not timing critical, but on some tuners initialization can take
several seconds (e.g. tda18271, xc5000).  I'm not thrilled about it
taking 3-5 seconds to change the standard (something which some
applications may very well do on every channel change).

I'm tempted to just jam a zero into the tuner->tv_freq when powering
down the tuner, but that's not a very clean solution obviously.

The tuner core makes decisions based on tuner->tv_freq not being zero,
so I believe tuner_core should provide some way to reset it back to
zero as needed.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs