Re: [PULL] http://kernellabs.com/hg/~mkrufky/raw-payload

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 4:21 PM, Markus Rechberger
<mrechberger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 10:17 PM, Markus Rechberger
> <mrechberger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 10:12 PM, Michael Krufky <mkrufky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Markus,
>>>
>>> "raw" as in, untouched, directly received from the device.  Another
>>> word can be used to describe it- "pass-thru" ... I think "raw"
>>> suffices, however.  It's not specific to any format.
>>
>> then it should take a raw driver and not use the DVB API for this.
>> Applications might not handle any kind of RAW if you don't tell them
>> what format it is.
>>

> eg. what will happen when kaffeine requests some data? I hardly doubt
> that it will be able to handle a raw format. You just have to be more specific
> with your proposed API changes. RAW + identifier somewhere about what
> data it is might help the applications to get along with it.
> And if possible don't try to break existing applications.

Good point - this would be for handling new frontend types that
demodulate digital media in formats OTHER THAN transport stream.  I
agree that it should be made known to the application that transport
stream should not be expected to be read from the device.  What I had
in mind would be for the frontend itself to report this.  Frontends of
type FE_ATSC or FE_OFDM or FE_QAM would be expected to provide
transport stream that can be handled by the kernel demux.  Newer
frontend types might not deliver transport stream, such as CMMB or
ATSC-MH and other mobile media broadcast systems.

I thought it would be more appropriate to discuss the new frontend
types in detail when it came to adding the new DVB APIv5 commands to
handle the new delivery systems.  Since this change doesnt change any
existing APIs, while allowing for debug and development, I decided to
push it before any new frontend api code.

Regards,

Mike