Re: TBS 6980 Dual Tuner PCI-e card.....not in Wiki at all?

Another Sillyname wrote:
> Guys
>
> The TBS 6920 PCI-e card is in the Wiki and is a supported card.
>
> The TBS 6980 dual tuner PCI-e card is not in the Wiki at all, is there
> a reason for this given they have released a non GPL blob at least?

Because the wiki relies upon user contributions.  No contributions, no
information.  Simple as that.

> Also is there a reason that an indicative price for supported cards is
> not shown in the wiki?  It would save a load of time rather then
> having to search on each card only to find out it's ridiculously
> priced at $1000.

I for one am not particularly keen on inclusion of prices because:
- prices are highly subject to temporal variance (i.e. what costs $150
now could be $80 in six months)
- prices are often highly variant across broad geographical regions
(i.e. what costs $70US in America could, after accounting for exchange
rates, cost an equivalent of $100US within Canada)
- prices are often highly variant within local geographical markets (i.e
what costs $99 at the local big box Bestbuy store could easily cost $79
at the local mom&pop computer store)
- prices require regular updating/maintenance in order for them to be in
any way "indicative" ... the wiki relies upon user contributions ...
ergo, I can already tell you in advance that its not going to happen
(because its a time consuming endeavour, and there is no critical mass
of contributors to keep the information relevant), and so, any original
submissions will inevitably just end up suffering information rot (and,
thus, end up not being indicative or of particular use for the end user).