Re: Tentative agenda for Helsinki mini-summit

On Sunday 23 May 2010 20:02:59 Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> On Sun, 23 May 2010, Hans Verkuil wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > This is a tentative agenda for the Helsinki mini-summit on June 14-16.
> >
> > Please reply to this thread if you have comments or want to add topics.
>
> [snip]
>
> > 8) soc-camera status. Particularly with regards to the remaining soc-camera
> >    dependencies in sensor drivers. Guennadi Liakhovetski.
>
> Don't think a formal presentation is needed, but I can tell a couple of
> words to clarify the current status a bit.
>
> > Comments? Topics I missed?
>
> No idea whether this is a worthy and suitable topic for this meeting, but:
>
> V4L(2) video output vs. framebuffer.
>
> Problem: Currently the standard way to provide graphical output on various
> (embedded) displays like LCDs is to use a framebuffer driver. The
> interface is well supported and widely adopted in the user-space, many
> applications, including the X-server, various libraries like directfb,
> gstreamer, mplayer, etc. In the kernel space, however, the subsystem has a
> number of problems. It is unmaintained. The infrastructure is not being
> further developed, every specific hardware driver is being supported by
> the respective architecture community. But as video output hardware
> evolves, more complex displays and buses appear and have to be supported,
> the subsystem shows its aging. For example, there is currently no way to
> write reusable across multiple platforms display drivers.
>
> OTOH V4L2 has a standard vodeo output driver support, it is not very
> widely used, in the userspace I know only of gstreamer, that somehow
> supports video-output v4l2 devices in latest versions. But, being a part
> of the v4l2 subsystem, these drivers already now can take a full advantage
> of all v4l2 APIs, including the v4l2-subdev API for the driver reuse.
>
> So, how can we help graphics driver developers on the one hand by
> providing them with a capable driver framework (v4l2) and on the other
> hand by simplifying the task of interfacing to the user-space?
>
> How about a v4l2-output - fbdev translation layer? You write a v4l2-output
> driver and get a framebuffer device free of charge... TBH, I haven't given
> this too much of a thought, but so far I don't see anything that would
> make this impossible in principle. The video buffer management is quite
> different between the two systems, but maybe we can teach video-output
> drivers to work with just one buffer too? Anyway, feel free to tell me why
> this is an absolutely impossible / impractical idea;)

I've added this to the agenda. I think this probably doesn't need a presentation
but will be more an open discussion.

I also think this is a very interesting topic to discuss more in-depth on
Tuesday.

Sakari, does Nokia have any framebuffer experts that might be interested in
discussing this as well on Tuesday?

Regards,

	Hans