Re: ir-core multi-protocol decode and mceusb

On Sat, 2010-05-29 at 12:58 -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 8:39 AM, Andy Walls <awalls@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2010-05-28 at 00:47 -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> >> So I'm inching closer to a viable mceusb driver submission -- both a
> >> first-gen and a third-gen transceiver are now working perfectly with
> >> multiple different mce remotes. However, that's only when I make sure
> >> the mceusb driver is loaded w/only the rc6 decoder loaded. When
> >> ir-core comes up, it requests all decoders to load, starting with the
> >> nec decoder, followed by the rc5 decoder, then the rc6 decoder and so
> >> on (init_decoders() in ir-raw-event.c). When I call
> >> ir_raw_event_handle, all decoders get run on the ir data buffer,
> >> starting with nec. Well, the nec decoder doesn't like the rc6 data, so
> >> it pukes. The RUN_DECODER macro break's out of the routine when that
> >> happens, and the rc6 decoder never gets a chance to run. (Similarly,
> >> if only ir-nec-decoder has been removed, the rc5 decoder pukes on the
> >> rc6 data, same problem).
> >
> > Yes, if the system kernel is going to attempt to discriminate between
> > various input singals, it needs to let all its "correlators" run and
> > produce a "confidence" number from each.
> >
> > Then ideally one would take the result with the highest confidence.
> >
> > Right now it looks like all the confidence determinations are boolean (0
> > or -EINVAL) and there is no chance to deal with the case that two
> > different decoders validly decode something.  The first decoder that
> > declares a match "wins" and sends an event.
>
> Yeah, it does look that way. I wonder how likely it is that e.g. a
> valid RC6 signal would be decoded to something by say the NEC decoder,

NEC is a pulse position code and RC-6 is manchester encoded, so that
particular case would be unlikely.

I would think one would have a better chance of false positiive
detections between similar encoding types: pulse position, pulse width,
or manchester.

Looking at slide 11 of this:

	http://www.audiodevelopers.com/temp/Remote_Controls.ppt

It looks like the pulse position protocols with a header space of 8T
(where 8T is about 4ms) would be the only ones that could get confused.

Since these are streaming decoders, it looks like JVC would come up with
false detections first, since it has the shortest payload of the pulse
position protocols.  I think JVC will always claim to decode an NEC
pulse train.  (I'll try to test that sometime.)

> with a resulting value that matched an entry in the (RC6) keymap
> loaded for the remote... Certainly seems like something that *could*
> happen somehow, but probably unlikely? I dunno...

I don't know either.  There appears to be a chance for the first 16 bits
of a transmitted NEC (Addr:Addr') or Extended NEC (AddrHi:AddrLo)
sequence, to be interpreted as JVC (Addr:Cmd), and the JVC decoder
matching a scancode in the keytable for the NEC remote.

>  We do have the
> option to disable all but the relevant protocol handler on a
> per-device basis though, if that's a problem. Hrm, the key tables also
> have a protocol tied to them, not sure if that's taken into account
> when doing matching... Still getting to know the code. :)

It does not look like

	ir_keydown()
		ir_g_keycode_from_table()
			ir_getkeycode()

bother to check the ir_type (e.g. IR_TYPE_NEC) of the keymap against the
decoders type.  Neither do the decoders themselves.

If a decoder decodes something and thinks its valid, it tries to send a
key event with ir_keydown().  ir_keydown() won't send a key event if the
lookup comes back KEY_RESERVED, but it doesn't tell the decoder about
the failure to find a key mapping.  A decoder can come back saying it
did it's job, without knowing whether or not the decoding corresponded
to a valid key in the loaded keymap. :(

> > You will have to deal with the case that two or more decoders may match
> > and each sends an IR event.  (Unless the ir-core already deals with this
> > somehow...)
>
> Well, its gotta decode correctly to a value, and then match a value in
> the loaded key table for an input event to get sent through. At least
> for the RC6 MCE remotes, I haven't seen any of the other decoders take
> the signal and interpret it as valid -- which ought to be by design,
> if you consider that people use several different remotes with varying
> ir signals with different devices all receiving them all the time
> without problems (usually). And if we're not already, we could likely
> add some logic to give higher precedence to values arrived at using
> the protocol decoder that matches the key table we've got loaded for a
> given device.

After looking at things, the only potential problem I can see right now
is with the JVC decoder and NEC remotes.

I think that problem is most easily eliminated either by

a. having ir_keydown() (or the functions it calls) check to see that the
decoder matches the loaded keymap, or

b. only calling the decoder that matches the loaded keymap's protocol

Of the above, b. saves processor cycles and frees up the global
ir_raw_handler spin lock sooner.  That spin lock is serializing pulse
decoding for all the IR receivers in the system  (pulse decoding can
still be interleaved, just only one IR receiver's pulses are be
processed at any time).  What's the point of running decoders that
should never match the loaded keymap?

Regards,
Andy