How do you capture (raw) VBI on Linux?

HI, I am writing to the Linux-media mailing list in hopes that someone
can share how the /dev/vbi device can be captured from under Linux to
disk so it can be processed back into captions.

I've tried a long list of items (listed below), and the only success
I've had under Linux is using old Hauppauge PVR (150 & 250) PCI cards,
and extracting the embedded VBI data from those captures.

I can successfully display closed captions on my Hauppauge HVR-950q
USB device with "zvbi-ntsc-cc -d /dev/vbi0 -c" as long as I start a
capture first in one terminal, then run that command in a second
terminal, so I know that card works.

With my Hauppauge HVR-950q, I've tried the following items:
cat /dev/vbi (both before, during, and after a capture is started on the card

Trying to use ffmpeg to capture /dev/vbi - unclear if this is even
supposed to work, and if so, what the proper commands are

I've tried using zvbi to capture the captions- at best, I can get the
text dumped to a file, but no timestamps, or raw/sliced VBI that I
could convert using ccextractor into a subtitle file.
I had thought one of the commands below should work based on the
descriptions from --help.
zvbi-ntsc-cc -d /dev/vbi0 -r -C vbi.bin
zvbi-ntsc-cc -d /dev/vbi0 -r -R -C vbi.bin

I've tried some of the test tools in the zvbi source code test folder,
but it's not entirely clear if they work with NTSC closed captions.

I'm on Kubuntu 20.04 with kernel 5.4.0-77-generic.

If anyone knows an application/device combination (any Linux OS),
please let me know- this seems totally possible, I just can't figure
out how to make it happen.
Thank you in advance for any insights or guidance you can provide here.