Re: Subject: Composite input from OnAir Creator - use as security camera

The pvrusb2 driver does not currently support uncompressed video
capture.  Rather, the data arrives to the application as mpeg2.  There
are numerous ways to use this data.  You can make it work with mplayer
for example, but not when mplayer is in pure V4L mode.  Rather than
repeating it all here, check out the pvrusb2 web site which has a list
of various apps and how to make each one work (or why it won't work).
The relevant part for you should be here:

http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2/usage.html#V4L

  -Mike

On Tue, 25 May 2010, A. F. Cano wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to be able to capture video from a camera connected to the
> composite video input of an OnAir Creator.  I have tried motion, mplayer,
> kaffeine, mythtv, xawtv and none have worked so far.  Hopefully it's something
> trivial that I'm doing wrong.  I am using an up to date Debian Lenny
> distribution.
>
> Months (or even 1+ years) ago, I gave the OnAir Creator a try and had issues
> with having to hunt down the firmware file.  Since I don't get firmware error
> messages, I presume this issue is no longer relevant, or is it?  My previous
> experience was with Etch, Lenny was installed from scratch, so if the firmware
> didn't get installed automatically, it isn't in place.
>
> This is the kernel used:
>
> Linux version 2.6.26-2-686 (Debian 2.6.26-21lenny4) (dannf@xxxxxxxxxx) (gcc version 4.1.3 20080704 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.2-25)) #1 SMP Tue Mar 9 17:35:51 UTC 2010
>
> It seems the problem is that an ioctl() call is failing.  Is this a case of
> Lenny being too old or is there a more fundamental problem?  Do I need to send
> something to the Creator to get it to start sending? or is this automatic when
> the applications start?
>
> It would be nice to use the Creator inputs (composite for now, but if I could
> get it to work the S-video input would be even better) for digitizing old
> analog video tapes, essentially making a video-capture device.
>
> o Motion
>
> "motion" would be the ideal application.  I have it properly configured and it
> works with usb web cams, but the quality of the picture is horrible.  I have
> an old NTSC video conferencing camera that has a much better picture, but
> motion doesn't seem to be able to deal with the OnAir Creator:
>

> [1] cap.driver: "pvrusb2"
> [1] cap.card: "OnAir Creator Hybrid USB tuner"
> [1] cap.bus_info: "usb 4-3 address 11"
> [1] cap.capabilities=0x01070011
> [1] - VIDEO_CAPTURE
> [1] - VBI_CAPTURE
> [1] - TUNER
> [1] - AUDIO
> [1] - READWRITE
> [1] VIDIOC_S_FREQUENCY: Numerical result out of range
> [1] Supported palettes:
> [1] 0:
> [1] Unable to find a compatible palette format.
> [1] ioctl(VIDIOCGMBUF) - Error device does not support memory map
> [1] V4L capturing using read is deprecated!
> [1] Motion only supports mmap.
> [1] Capture error calling vid_start
> [1] Thread finishing...
>
> Is there anything that can be done about this? or is "motion" a lost cause?
>
> o Mplayer
>
> $ mplayer -tv input=1:normid=16 tv://
> MPlayer dev-SVN-r26940
> CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1400MHz (Family: 6, Model: 9, Stepping: 5)
> CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
> Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
> Can't open joystick device /dev/input/js0: No such file or directory
> [...]

Mike Isely
isely @ isely (dot) net