Re: CEU / Camera Driver Question

Guennadi,

No, subdevice drivers, using the mediabus API, know nothing about fourcc
codes, that belongs to the user side of the pixel format handling API. The
path, e.g., for the VIDIOC_S_FMT ioctl() is

soc_camera.c::soc_camera_s_fmt_vid_cap(V4L2_PIX_FMT_GREY)
sh_mobile_ceu_camera.c::sh_mobile_ceu_set_fmt(V4L2_PIX_FMT_GREY)

the latter will try to call the .s_mbus_fmt() method from
soc_camera_platform.c and will fail, because that got lost during the
v4l2-subdev conversion, which is a bug and has to be fixed, patch welcome.

In trying to figure out how to best patch the lacking .s_mbus_fmt() option, I setup:

static struct v4l2_subdev_video_ops platform_subdev_video_ops = {
	.s_stream	= soc_camera_platform_s_stream,
	.try_mbus_fmt	= soc_camera_platform_try_fmt,
	.enum_mbus_fmt	= soc_camera_platform_enum_fmt,
	.g_mbus_fmt     = soc_camera_platform_try_fmt,
	.s_mbus_fmt     = soc_camera_platform_try_fmt,

};

Is there any reason I can't reuse a slightly modified "try_fmt" function to do the set?

Here's what I currently have:

static int soc_camera_platform_try_fmt(struct v4l2_subdev *sd,
				       struct v4l2_mbus_framefmt *mf)
{
	struct soc_camera_platform_info *p = v4l2_get_subdevdata(sd);

	mf->width	= p->format.width;
	mf->height	= p->format.height;
	mf->code	= p->format.code;
	mf->colorspace	= p->format.colorspace;
	mf->field	                = p->format.field;

	return 0;
}

But regardless of how I set this structure up, I don't see any direct support
for a Grayscale mode data capture in the ceu driver.  For example,
"sh_mobile_ceu_set_bus_param" does not contain V4L2_PIX_FMT_GREY in its list
of fourcc formats.  Yet based on the 7724 hardware manual, and from the
information I have received from Renesas, I'm not seeing any reason why this
format should not be supported.

Is grayscale somehow supported under the current CEU driver?

Sure, that's what the pass-through mode with a standard soc-mbus format
conversion is for (see soc_mbus_get_fmtdesc()).

After thoroughly reviewing the register documentation for the CEU, there are several changes I'm implementing. This camera doesn't put out any color sampling, so the registers in the CEU must be configured to use "image data fetch" mode.

Where I'm currently struggling is in "sh_mobile_ceu_set_fmt" where the call is made to "soc_camera_xlate_by_fourcc(icd, pixfmt)".

I'm still trying to figure out where the data needs to be defined that eventually becomes "pixfmt". Should this be setup as an additional parameter from inside "soc_camera_platform_try_fmt"?

What's the relationship between "v4l2_format" and "v4l2_mbus_framefmt"?

Thank you,

Charles Krebs, Embedded Solutions Developer
The Realtime Group