setting up a tevii s660

Hullo
I've been struggling with this for a couple of days. I have checked archives, but missed anything useful.

I've got a tevii s660 (dvbs2 via usb). It works with some limitations on windows xp (I cannot get HD signals decoded, but think that's a limitation of the software that comes on the CD).

I'm trying to get this working on Linux. I've tried VMs based on fedora 12 and mythbuntu (VMWare Fusion on a MacBookPro, both based on kernel 2.6.32), using the drivers from tevii's site (www.tevii.com/support.asp) . these drivers are slightly modified versions of the v4l tip - but don't appear to be modified where I've not yet managed to get the drivers working :-(. Mythbuntu seems to be closest to working. Goodness knows how tevii tested the code, but it doesn't seem to work as far as I can see. My issues could just be down to using a VM.

I believe that I need to load up the modules ds3000 and dvb-usb- dw2102, + add a rule to /etc/udev/rules.d and a script to /etc/udev/ scripts.

I think that I must be missing quite a lot of context, tho'. When I look at the code in dw2102.c, which seems to support the s660, the bit that downloads the firmware looks broken and if I add a default clause to the switch that does the download, the s660's missed the download process. This could be why when I do get anything out of the device it looks like I'm just getting repeated bytes (the same value repeated, different values at different times, sometimes nothing). I'm finding it non-trivial working out the call sequences of the code or devising repeatable tests.

Can anyone kick me off on getting this working? I'd like to at least get to the point where scandvb can tune the device. It does look like some folk have had success in the past, but probably with totally different codebase (there are posts that refer to the teviis660 module, which I cannot find).

Any pointer gratefully accepted. I'll feed back any success if I can be pointed at where to drop document it.

tia

Tim