Re: v4l2loopback and v4l2-mem2mem framework

Questions below.

On 3/3/21 2:41 PM, Nicolas Dufresne wrote:
No, since m2m are instance base, you cannot have two process operating on the
same node (there is only 1 streaming state). You'd probably want to look at
extending the VIMC driver instead. It's a virtual media controller, it's missing
few bits to make loopback possible, but would be a good fit.

Note that vivid have a loopback capability, but it does not constraint the
width/height/format and will produce a test pattern if you request something
that differ from the source.

I am not sure which you're suggesting to use: vivid or vimc. Also, are you
suggesting to extend them or use them as a template for a new module?

I think you are saying that vivid can already do loopback. However vivid is
a test driver and, like vim2m, doesn't ship with distribution kernels. Should I
try to move it out of the test-drivers?

It is very buggy, it often return a queued buffer back, and in fact, if you try
to use the queue too much it fails. Though all this would probably be fine if
you port it to VB2.

I am assuming you are saying to port v4l2loopback to vb2. I am working on that
right now, but I am not sure how to proceed since the vb2 needs a queue for
capture and a queue for output (since they cannot be the same). I have created
the queues, but I am not sure how to further integrate. Please check out the
WIP here:
https://github.com/wt/v4l2loopback/commit/e71b0a50427729a5e6e74443066751f7321dc404

If the m2m is the wrong approach, do you have any suggestions for how to
proceed?

Also, I am currently making a change for the linux kernel moving this code
info drivers/media/v4l2-core/v4l2-loopback.c so that I can start iterating
with your feedback. Is that a correct place to put this code?

Thanks,
wt