Re: saa7146 firmware upload time?

On Sun, 2 May 2010, Oliver Endriss wrote:
[...]
Obviously, the firmware is not loaded at modprobe time. It is loaded
when an application opens the frontend for the first time.
[...]

Thanks.

Before the frontend can be opened, open(2) must be called on a v4l device file, right? I don't appear to have such a device file (no /dev/video*, no /dev/dvb/adaptor*/video*). I had assumed the missing device file was caused by the failure to load the firmware. So it's still not clear to me how to trigger the firmware loading process again (though clearly something I did today triggered it once), or indeed whether that is the problem I should be trying to solve.

Clues welcome

John