Re: Issue with cec_register_adapter calling request_module() from an async context when called from intel_dp_detect

On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 01:41:46PM +0100, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> On 17/02/2021 13:24, Hans de Goede wrote:
> > <resend with the linux-media list added to the Cc>
> >
> > Hi Hans,
> >
> > Fedora has a (opt-in) system to automatically collect backtraces from software
> > crashing on users systems.
> >
> > This includes collecting kernel backtraces (including once triggered by
> > WARN macros) while looking a the top 10 of the most reported backtrace during the
> > last 2 weeks report from ABRT: https://retrace.fedoraproject.org/faf/problems/
> >
> > I noticed the following backtrace:
> > https://retrace.fedoraproject.org/faf/problems/8150/
> > which has been reported 170000 times by Fedora users who have opted-in during the
> > last 14 days.
> >
> > The issue here is that cec_register_adapter ends up calling request_module()
> > from an async context, triggering this warn in kernel/kmod.c __request_module():
> >
> >         /*
> >          * We don't allow synchronous module loading from async.  Module
> >          * init may invoke async_synchronize_full() which will end up
> >          * waiting for this task which already is waiting for the module
> >          */
> >         WARN_ON_ONCE(wait && current_is_async());
> >
> > The call-path leading to this goes like this:
> >
> >  ? kvasprintf+0x6d/0xa0
> >  ? kobject_set_name_vargs+0x6f/0x90
> >  rc_map_get+0x30/0x60
>
> It's not CEC, it is rc_map_get that calls request_module() for rc-cec.ko.
>
> I've added Sean Young to the CC list.
>
> Sean, is it possible to treat rc-cec as a built-in if MEDIA_CEC_RC is set?
>
> I think this issue is very specific to CEC. I would not expect to see this
> with any other rc keymap.

So CEC creates an RC device with a keymap (cec keymap, of course) and then
the keymap needs to be loaded. We certainly don't want all keymaps as
builtins, that would be a waste.

The cec keymap is scanned once to build a map from cec codes to linux
keycodes; making it builtin is not ideal, and makes the build system a
bit messy.

I don't think we can load the keymap later, user space may start remapping
the keymap from udev.

Possibly we could create the cec or rc device later but this could be a bit
messy.

Could CEC specify:

#if IS_ENABLED(CONFIG_MEDIA_CEC_RC)
MODULE_SOFTDEP("rc-cec")