Re: Failing V4l2-compliance test with a sensor driver

Hello Hans,

Thank you very much for the quick response.

On 15.01.2021 13:11, Hans Verkuil wrote:
On 15/01/2021 12:53, Sebastian Fricke wrote:
Hello,

I believe you are the creator of v4l2-compliance, right? My hope is that you might be able to lead me in the right direction.
I am currently finishing up a sensor driver that I ported from a downstream kernel. And I try to clear up the last compliance error:

```
     info: checking control event 'User Controls' (0x00980001)
     VIDIOC_SUBSCRIBE_EVENT returned -1 (Inappropriate ioctl for device)

This returns ENOTTY, which is weird...

     fail: v4l2-test-controls.cpp(818): subscribe event for control 'User Controls' failed
test VIDIOC_(UN)SUBSCRIBE_EVENT/DQEVENT: FAIL
```

I notice that it calls a normal v4l2 ioctl on my subdevice. I implemented the event handling just like I was able to find in other devices like:
imx219, imx355, ov2640 by adding:

```
#include <media/v4l2-event.h>
	sd->flags |= V4L2_SUBDEV_FL_HAS_DEVNODE |
		     V4L2_SUBDEV_FL_HAS_EVENTS;
static const struct v4l2_subdev_core_ops ov13850_core_ops = {
	.subscribe_event = v4l2_ctrl_subdev_subscribe_event,
	.unsubscribe_event = v4l2_event_subdev_unsubscribe
```

...since this looks exactly as it should be.

Am I supposed to correct that error, or asked in another way is it actually an error when a subdevice doesn't implement VIDIOC_SUBSCRIBE_EVENT?

Yes, it is an error if subscribe_event isn't implemented, but you DO have controls in your driver.

Are you compiling v4l2-compliance from the git repo? You shouldn't use the version packages by distros since that is typically much too old.

Yes I have compiled it directly from the git repo `git clone https://git.linuxtv.org/v4l-utils.git/`, to be more specific I have an ansible playbook that shows exactly how I compiled it:
https://github.com/initBasti/NanoPC-T4_armbian_configuration/blob/main/ansible/setup_nanopct4.yml#L95

The build I currently use is 3 days old.

I can't give support either if you are using an old version.

Additionally, I noticed that the compliance check doesn't look at my VIDIOC_SUBDEV_G_SELECTION implementation but instead searches for any implementation of the VIDIOC_G_SELECTION ioctl.

It shouldn't, at least v4l2-test-subdevs.cpp only uses VIDIOC_SUBDEV_G_SELECTION.

That is exactly what confuses me, I cannot find a *single* SUBDEV ioctl
within the output of the tests.
Here is the complete output: https://paste.debian.net/1181280/

Regards,

	Hans

Thanks a lot
Sebastian

I invoked the compliance test with:

v4l2-compliance -u /dev/v4l-subdev3 -v -T

My current code can be located here: https://github.com/initBasti/Linux_kernel_media_tree_fork/blob/fix_subscribe_event_user_controls/drivers/media/i2c/ov13850.c

Greetings and thanks in advance,
Sebastian