cx88-input questions

I've been looking at converting drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-input.c to
use the ir-core subsystem, and I have a few questions.

As far as I understand the code, the sampling case will sample at a 4Khz
interval and generate one bit for each sample to represent a pulse or
space (i.e. a 250us resolution). This is done by writing a magic value
in __cx88_ir_start:

	cx_write(MO_DDS_IO, 0xa80a80);

250us is a quite low resolution, is it possible to get the hardware to
generate samples at a higher rate (say, 20Khz for a 50us resolution)?

Also, how does the polling mode work in the hardware? Is a complete
scancode (or as complete as the hardware can handle at least) returned
from the gpio read after a keypress?

--
David Härdeman