Re: mantis crashes

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 11:41:18AM +0000, hans van den Bogert wrote:
> So it kinda looks like this is a ubuntu thing? Or are there alternative
> conclusions?

Yesterday I was able to lend a card from someone who has the same setup
as me (Ubuntu Karmic with latest kernel and using s2-lipnianin) and same
Terratec card. He too uses the blunt aproach and just build the v4l-tree
and installs it on top of the Ubuntu kernel.

After 5 hours of runtime the system crashed again. This time I had a
keyboard hooked up, which flashed caps-lock and scroll-lock. Kernel
panic, in other words. Different binay garbage in my syslog this time.

So the card hardware is ruled out, and since I know can establish that
it is a kernel panic I am almost rcertainly ruling out hardware in
general. The system is stable if the card is not used.

Things left to try hardware-wise is to switch to a different PCI slot,
but I guess I'll go down the new kernel route... I'll have to do some
research regarding v4l versions in .31, .32 and .33 to figure out to
which kernel I can 'backport' mantis without replacing v4l completely.

I am by no means a developer so this will hurt.

--
       Vidar Tyldum Hansen
                                 vidar@xxxxxxxxxx               PGP: 0x3110AA98