Re: RFC: exposing controls in sysfs

On Thu, 8 Apr 2010, hermann pitton wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 07.04.2010, 20:50 +0200 schrieb Lars Hanisch:
> > Am 06.04.2010 16:33, schrieb Mike Isely:
> [snip]

> > > Yes.
> > >
> > > The VDR project at one time implemented a plugin to directly interface
> > > to the pvrusb2 driver in this manner.  I do not know if it is still
> > > being used since I don't maintain that plugin.
> >
> >   Just FYI:
> >   The PVR USB2 device is now handled by the pvrinput-plugin, which uses only ioctls. The "old" pvrusb2-plugin is obsolete.
> >
> >   http://projects.vdr-developer.org/projects/show/plg-pvrinput

Lars:

Thanks for letting me know about that - until this message I had no idea
if VDR was still using that interface.

> > Regards,
> > Lars.
>
> [snip]
>
> thanks Lars.
>
> Mike is really caring and went out for even any most obscure tuner bit
> to help to improve such stuff in the past, when we have been without any
> data sheets.

Hermann:

You might have me confused with Mike Krufky there - he's the one who did
so much of the tuner driver overhauling in v4l-dvb in the past.

> To open second, maybe third and even forth ways for apps to use a
> device, likely going out of sync soon, does only load maintenance work
> without real gain.

Well it was an experiment at the time to see how well such a concept
would work.  I had done it in a way to minimize maintenance load going
forward.  On both counts I feel the interface actually has done very
well, nonstandard though it may be.

I still get the general impression that the user community really has
liked the sysfs interface, but the developers never really got very fond
of it :-(

> We should stay sharp to discover something others don't want to let us
> know about. All other ideas about markets are illusions. Or?
>
> So, debugfs sounds much better than sysfs for my taste.
>
> Any app and any driver, going out of sync on the latter, will remind us
> that backward compat _must always be guaranteed_  ...
>
> Or did change anything on that and is sysfs excluded from that rule?

Backwards compatibility is very important and thus any kind of new
interface deserves a lot of forethought to ensure that choices are made
in the present that people will regret in the future.  Making an
interface self-describing is one way that helps with compatibility: if
the app can discover on its own how to use the interface then it can
adapt to interface changes in the future.  I think a lot of people get
their brains so wrapped around the "ioctl-way" of doing things and then
they try to map that concept into a sysfs-like (or debugfs-like)
abstraction that they don't see how to naturally take advantage of what
is possible there.

  -Mike

--

Mike Isely