Re: RFC: exposing controls in sysfs

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 1:27 PM, Laurent Pinchart
<laurent.pinchart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
> On Tuesday 06 April 2010 13:06:18 Andy Walls wrote:
>> On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 08:37 +0200, Hans Verkuil wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> > Again, I still don't know whether we should do this. It is dangerously
>> > seductive because it would be so trivial to implement.
>>
>> It's like watching ships run aground on a shallow sandbar that all the
>> locals know about.  The waters off of 'Point /sys' are full of usability
>> shipwrecks.  I don't know if it's some siren's song, the lack of a light
>> house, or just strange currents that deceive even seasoned
>> navigators....
>>
>> Let the user run 'v4l2-ctl -d /dev/videoN -L' to learn about the control
>> metatdata.  It's not as easy as typing 'cat', but the user base using
>> sysfs in an interactive shell or shell script should also know how to
>> use v4l2-ctl.  In embedded systems, the final system deployment should
>> not need the control metadata available from sysfs in a command shell
>> anyway.
>
> I fully agree with this. If we push the idea one step further, why do we need
> to expose controls in sysfs at all ?

how about security permissions? while you can easily change the
permission levels for nodes in /dev you can't do this so easily with
sysfs entries.
I don't really think this is needed at all some applications will
start to use ioctl some other apps might
go for sysfs.. this makes the API a little bit whacko

Markus