Re: [RFC] Serialization flag example

Hi Devin,

> Hello Manu,
>
> The argument I am trying to make is that there are numerous cases
> where you should not be able to use both a particular DVB and V4L
> device at the same time.  The implementation of such locking should be
> handled by the v4l-dvb core, but the definition of the relationships
> dictating which devices cannot be used in parallel is still the
> responsibility of the driver.
>
> This way, a bridge driver can say "this DVB device cannot be used at
> the same time as this V4L device" but the actual enforcement of the
> locking is done in the core.  For cases where the devices can be used
> in parallel, the bridge driver doesn't have to do anything.

I follow what you mean. Why I emphasized that it shouldn't be at the
core, but basically in the bridge driver:

Case 1
- there is a 1:n relation, In this case there is only 1 path and 3
users sharing that path
In such a case, You can use such a mentioned scheme, where things do
look okay, since it is only about locking a single path.

Case 2
- there is a n:n relation, in this case there are n paths and n users
In such a case, it is hard to make the core aware of all the details,
since there could be more than 1 resource of the same category;
Mapping each of them properly won't be easy, as for the same chip
driver Resource A on Card A, would mean different for Resource A on
Card B.

Case 3
- there is a m:n relation, in this case, there are m paths and n users
This case is even more painful than the previous ones.

In cases 2 & 3, the option to handle such cases is using a
configuration scheme based on the card type. I guess handling such
would be quite daunting and hard to get right. I guess it would be
much more efficient and useful to have such a feature to be made
available in the bridge driver as it is a resource of the card
configuration, rather than a common bridge resource.

Manu