Re: [GIT PULL FOR v5.10 (v2)] mtk-vcodec: venc: support for MT8183

Hi Mauro,

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 3:10 PM Mauro Carvalho Chehab
<mchehab+huawei@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Em Mon, 31 Aug 2020 10:33:44 +0900
> Alexandre Courbot <acourbot@xxxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:
>
> > Hi Mauro,
> >
> > On Sun, Aug 30, 2020 at 5:46 PM Mauro Carvalho Chehab
> > <mchehab+huawei@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Breaking COMPILE_TEST is a very bad idea, as it means that the robots
> > > will stop reporting issues on this driver, including our own Jenkins
> > > instance.
> > >
> > > We need a solution for it, like:
> > >
> > > 1. postponing the changes that caused it to break to be added only
> > >   after the merge window;
> > > 2. ask an ack from remoteproc maintainer for him to send his ack
> > >   and having the patch applied via our tree;
> > > 3. cherry-pick the fixup patch, applying it before the patch which
> > >   broke the build;
> > > 4. pull from a permanent branch from the tree where the fixup patch
> > >   were merged;
> > >
> > > Looking at lore:
> > >         https://lore.kernel.org/linux-remoteproc/20200821115832.2893484-1-acourbot@xxxxxxxxxxxx/
> > >
> > > I can't see any reply to this patch. Was it already merged there?
> > > I guess not:
> > >         https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/andersson/remoteproc.git/log/?h=for-next
> > >
> > > I'm not a big fan of (4), as, if something bad happens during the
> > > merge window with the tree containing the fixup patch, we may have
> > > some bad time merging media upstream, specially if such tree would
> > > contain something that. So, if we would use alternative (4), I'll
> > > likely place all changes for mtk driver on a topic branch, to be
> > > merged upstream only after the pull request with the fixup
> > > patches got merged.
> >
> > It also seems that the series with other mtk-vcodec changes being
> > merged in between, the series does not apply as-is to the media tree.
> > The conflict is trivial to resolve, but please let me know if you
> > would like me to rebase and resend along with the SCP patch once the
> > remoteproc maintainer acks it.
>
> Hans did a rebase on this version 2 and all patches apply OK.
> I guess he also did build test with the remoteproc patch applied,
> and build fine. Yet, Jenkins were unable to check the build patch
> per patch, due to the Kconfig issue.
>
> Once the Kconfig issue has sorted out, feel free to send an updated
> version, if something else is needed. On such case, please preserve
> Hans SoB for the patches that won't require non-context changes.

I tried doing a resend of the patch enabling COMPILE_TEST for the SCP
one week ago (https://lkml.org/lkml/2020/9/2/211, sent to both
maintainers of remoteproc and their list), but unfortunately still no
reaction from them.

Would it be acceptable to you if I temporarily disabled COMPILE_TEST
for mtk-vcodec as a workaround so we can at least merge this series?
Once the remoteproc patch lands, we can then reenable it.