Re: pushes at v4l-utils tree

Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 03/12/2010 01:21 AM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
>> Hi Hans,
>>
>> As we've agreed that the idea is to allow multiple people to commit at
>> v4l-utils,
>> today, I've added 3 commits at v4l-utils tree (2 keycode-related and 1
>> is .gitignore
>> stuff). One of the reasons were to test the viability for such commits.
>>
>> I've temporarily enabled the same script that we use for upstream
>> patches to
>> generate patches against linuxtv-commits ML.
>>
>>  From my experiences, I have some notes:
>>     1) git won't work fine if more than one is committing at the same
>> tree.
>> The reason is simple: it won't preserve the same group as the previous
>> commits. So,
>> the next committer will have troubles if we allow multiple committers;
>>

> I assume you are talking about some issues with permissions on the
> server side here ?

Yes. The new objects and the touched files got a different group ownership
after git push. I had to manually fix them at the server.

>> In summary, for now, I think that the better is to post all patches to
>> v4l-utils at ML
>> and ask Hans to merge them.
>>

> Yes and no, if you've a few patches, sure. If you are doing regular
> development you should
> get commit access. In my experience in various projects multiple people
> pushing to the
> same git tree will work fine.

We need to see how they're fixing the permissions. I suspect that they have
some post-update script that redo the proper file permissions. Do you know
what they use?

--

Cheers,
Mauro