Re: v4l-utils: i2c-id.h and alevt

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 7:40 PM, Hans de Goede <hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 03/11/2010 03:31 PM, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 9:14 AM, Douglas Schilling Landgraf
>> <dougsland@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

>>> I think would be nice to hear a word from Devin, which have been working
>>> in tvtime. Devin?
>>
>> Sorry, I've been sick for the last couple of days and not actively on
>> email.
>>
>> I don't think it's a good idea to consolidate applications like xawtv
>> and tvtime into the v4l2-utils codebase.  The existing v4l2-utils is
>> nice because it's small and what the packages provides what it says it
>> does - v4l2 *utilities*.  I wouldn't consider full blown tv viewing
>> applications to be "utilities".
>>
>> The apps in question are currently packaged by multiple distros today
>> as standalone packages.  Today distros can decide whether they want
>> the "bloat" associated with large GUI applications just to get the
>> benefits of a couple of command line utilities.  Bundling them
>> together makes that much harder (and would also result in a package
>> with lots of external dependencies on third party libraries).
>>
>> Adding them into v4l2-utils doesn't really solve the real problem -
>> that there are very few people willing to put in the effort to
>> extend/improve these applications (something which, as Douglas pointed
>> out, I'm trying to improve in the case of tvtime).
>>

> Ack,

ACK

> What would be good to do IMHO is decide for unmaintained apps like xawtv
> and alevt if we want to adopt them and if we do, to create separate git
> trees for them, and become a new upstream including doing regular
> tarbals releases. Some time ago I did a lot of work on the Fedora xawtv
> packages and I would be willing to pull such an effort for xawtv.

Simply creating a tree for an application doesn't really help. At
least it needs a "commitment" to that app to keep it updated. Unless,
someone really puts in such an effort, creating a tree doesn't really
help, it simplyt adds to the confusion for a normal user as to where
he should download his application for his distro, if such a package
doesn't exist.

Regards,
Manu