Re: [RFC, PATCH 1/3] gspca: add LEDs subsystem connection

Hi Màrton,

Thanks for the patch.

On Wednesday 03 March 2010 00:42:23 Németh Márton wrote:
> From: Márton Németh <nm127@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> On some webcams one or more LEDs can be found. One type of these LEDs
> are feedback LEDs: they usually shows the state of streaming mode.
> The LED can be programmed to constantly switched off state (e.g. for
> power saving reasons, preview mode) or on state (e.g. the application
> shows motion detection or "on-air").
>
> The second type of LEDs are used to create enough light for the sensor
> for example visible or in infra-red light.
>
> Both type of these LEDs can be handled using the LEDs subsystem. This
> patch add support to connect a gspca based driver to the LEDs subsystem.

They can indeed, but I'm not sure if the LEDs subsystem was designed for that
kind of use cases.

The LED framework was developed to handle LEDs found in embedded systems
(usually connected to GPIOs) that needed to be connected to software triggers
or controlled by drivers and/or specific userspace applications. Webcam LEDs
seem a bit out of scope to me, especially the "light" LED that might be better
handled by a V4L2 set of controls (we're currently missing controls for camera
flashes, be they LEDs or Xenon based).

I'll let Richard speak on this.

--
Regards,