Re: v4l2 subdevices and fops

On Monday 08 March 2010 13:44:25 m7aalton wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm writing a radio driver which uses subdevice file operations to
> handle RDS reception and transmission. Some IOCTL call-backs to the main
> device are easy to pass to the subdevice driver. To me it seems that
> adding the fops pointer to the following struct in v4l2-subdev.h would
> make passing the file operation call-backs equally convenient.
>
> struct v4l2_subdev_ops {
> 	const struct v4l2_subdev_core_ops  *core;
> 	const struct v4l2_subdev_tuner_ops *tuner;
> 	const struct v4l2_subdev_audio_ops *audio;
> 	const struct v4l2_subdev_video_ops *video;
> 	const struct v4l2_subdev_pad_ops   *pad;
> };
>
> Could I expand the above struct in the way I described? Have I missed
> something? Do you understand what I'm saying? :-)

Yes, I understand :-)

It is possible to add rds ops. The question is whether it is used often enough
to warrant the addition of a new rds_ops struct. Until recently rds was a rare
beast to see inside a driver. If the rds ops are general enough to be used in
more than one subdev driver, then I think you should make a proposal. If the
rds ops are unique to your driver, though, then it should be done through
the core ops ioctl callback.

Regards,

	Hans