Re: "Invalid module format"

On 03/05/10 16:51, VDR User wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Theodore Kilgore
> <kilgota@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> This is to report the good news that none of the above suspicions have
>> panned out. I still do not know the exact cause of the problem, but a local
>> compile and install of the 2.6.33 kernel did solve the problem. Hence, it
>> does seem that the most likely origin of the problem is somewhere in the
>> Slackware-current tree and the solution does not otherwise concern anyone on
>> this list and does not need to be pursued here.
>
> I experienced the same problem and posted a new thread about it with
> the subject "Problem with v4l tree and kernel 2.6.33".  I'm a debian
> user as well so apparently whatever is causing this is not specific to
> debian or slackware.  Even though you've got it working now, the
> source of the problem should be investigated.
> --

It's been several years since I last saw this error and I don't recall
what caused it then.

The message "Invalid module format" comes from either of modprobe and/or
insmod when the kernel returns ENOEXEC to a module (load) syscall.
Sometimes the kernel produces more explanatory messages  & sometimes not.

If there are no more explanatory messages, then kernel/module.c can be
built with DEBUGP producing more output (and then that new kernel would
have to be loaded).

Can one of you provide a kernel config file for a kernel/modprobe combination
that produces this message?  Some of the CONFIG_MODULE* config symbols could
have relevance here also.

--
~Randy