Re: cx18: Unable to find blank work order form to schedule incoming mailbox ...

On 03/01/10 20:34, Andy Walls wrote:
On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 11:07 -0500, Mark Lord wrote:
I'm using MythTV-0.21-fixes (from svn) on top of Linux-2.6.33 (from kernel.org),
with an HVR-1600 tuner card.  This card usually works okay (with workarounds for
the known analog recording bugs) in both analog and digital modes.

Last night, for the first time ever, MythTV chose to record from both the analog
and digital sides of the HVR-1600 card at exactly the same times..

The kernel driver failed, and neither recording was successful.
The only message in /var/log/messages was:

Feb 28 19:59:45 duke kernel: cx18-0: Unable to find blank work order form to schedule incoming mailbox command processing

This is really odd.  It means:

1. Your machine had a very busy burst of cx18 driver buffer handling
activity.  Stopping a number of different streams, MPEG, VBI, and (DTV)
TS at nearly the same time could do it

2. The firmware locked up.

3. The work handler kernel thread, cx18-0-in, got killed, if that's
possible, or the processor it was running on got really bogged down.
..

Yeah, it was pretty strange.
I wonder.. the system also has a Hauppauge 950Q USB tuner,
which is also partially controlled by the cx18 driver (I think).

I wonder if perhaps that had anything to do with it?

If you want to make the problem "just go away" then up this parameter in
cx18-driver.h:

#define CX18_MAX_IN_WORK_ORDERS (CX18_MAX_FW_MDLS_PER_STREAM + 7)
to something like
#define CX18_MAX_IN_WORK_ORDERS (2*CX18_MAX_FW_MDLS_PER_STREAM + 7)
..

Heh.. Yup, that's the first thing I did after looking at the code.  :)
Dunno if it'll help or not, but easy enough to do.

And if the cx18 is indeed being used by two cards (HVR-1600 and HVR-950Q),
then perhaps that number does need to be bigger or dynamic (?).

I've since tried to reproduce the failure on purpose, with no luck to date.

Thanks guys!