Re: Announcing v4l-utils-0.7.90 (which includes libv4l-0.7.90)

Hi,

On 03/01/2010 09:33 AM, Hans de Goede wrote:
On 03/01/2010 08:45 AM, Hans Verkuil wrote:
On Friday 26 February 2010 20:43:19 Hans de Goede wrote:
Hi,

I'm happy to announce the first (test / beta) release of v4l-utils,
v4l-utils is the combination of various v4l and dvb utilities which
used to be part of the v4l-dvb mercurial kernel tree and libv4l.

Is it correct that I only see v4l utilities and no dvb?

I just went with was already put in the repo by Mauro and Douglas. I'm fine
with adding dvb utilities, but I don't feel it is my place to decide to
do that.

Reading some more about dvb-apps, I have to side with the people
who are voting for keeping dvb-apps separate. I do wonder
if those people and you and Mauro are talking about the same dvb-apps,
or if this is just a misunderstanding.

The dvp-apps I'm talking about now, and of which I'm not in favor of
merging them with v4l-utils are the ones, which can be downloaded
here:
http://linuxtv.org/downloads/
http://linuxtv.org/hg/dvb-apps

Although I must agree with the people who are in favor of
integrating this into v4l-utils, that this needs much more active
maintainership wrt to making regular tarbal releases for distro's
to consume.

Still I believe this should stay as a separate project, because
so far it clearly was, and I see no huge advantages in integrating it.

Signs that this clearly is a separate stand alone project:

1) It has done several tarbal releases (these are ancient guys,
   this needs to be fixed).

2) It has its own VCS

3) It is packaged up by various distros:

http://packages.debian.org/sid/video/dvb-apps
http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/dapper/linuxtv-dvb-apps
http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/dvb-apps/
http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3?stat=3&search=dvb-apps&srodzaj=3
http://gentoo-portage.com/media-tv/linuxtv-dvb-apps
http://www.slax.org/modules.php?action=detail&id=3143
https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/2804

4) It is referenced as a standalone project by 3th parties:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Dvb-apps

So given the stand alone nature, and that it is already widely packaged
as a standalone project by distro's. For now I'm against ingrating this
into v4l-utils.

And the most important argument for me being against this, is that one
of the 2 active contributors (judging from the hg tree), Manu Abraham,
is very much against integration. And the people who are in favor
(Hans Verkuil and Mauro) don't seem to have done any commits to the
tree in question, for at least the last 2 years.

So unless we can get some buy in for integrating this in to
v4l-utils from active dvb-apps contributors I'm opposed to the integration.

With this all said, I must say: Manu please do a tarbal release real real
soon, and make a habit out of doing so regularly!

Regards,

Hans