Re: Chroma gain configuration

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 4:54 PM, Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ah, that's another matter. The original approach for handling private
> controls is seriously flawed. Drivers that want to use private controls
> are strongly encouraged to use the extended control mechanism for them,
> and to document those controls in the spec.

Yeah, it's just annoying that what should have been a change for
something like six lines of code in the g_ctrl/s_ctrl functions in
saa7115 is actually resulting in me having to extend saa7115 to add
support for the extended control interface.  Yeah, I can do that, but
it's still annoying that it should be necessary.

> Actually, it is not so much the extended control API that is relevant
> here, but the use of V4L2_CTRL_FLAG_NEXT_CTRL in VIDIOC_QUERYCTRL to
> enumerate the controls.

Control enumeration is actually working fine.  The queryctrl does
properly return all of the controls, including my new private control.

> Unfortunately, the current support functions in v4l2-common.c to help
> with this are pretty crappy, for which I apologize.

Of course, if you and Mauro wanted to sign off on the creation of a
new non-private user control called V4L2_CID_CHROMA_GAIN, that would
also resolve my problem.  :-)

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs