Re: adv7180 as SoC camera device

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010, Rodolfo Giometti wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 05:11:18PM +0100, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> >
> > The long-term goal is to remove the last soc-camera API dependencies from
> > the sensor subdev drivers. Subdevice (usually i2c) drivers should be fully
> > reusable and a dependency on soc-camera defeats that goal.
> >
> > I think the only missing piece is low-level bus setup (i.e. sync polarities,
> > rising/falling edge sampling, etc.). Some proposals were made, but basically
> > nobody has had the time to actually implement this.
> >
> > Right now, if you want to use your sensor with soc-camera, then you need to
> > support the soc-camera API (or what is left of it) in your subdev driver as
> > well.
>
> But with the goal to remove the last soc-camera API dependencies I
> suppose is better I try to change the pxa_camera driver in something
> compatible with the API of the adv7180 driver...

No. As Hans said, one of important things, that is present in soc-camera,
but absent from v4l2-subdev is bus-parameter configuration. So, to remove
those dependencies one would have to develop a generic bus-configuration
API for V4L2, and then convert soc-camera core and all soc-camera drivers
to it. Feel free to submit patches.

Thanks
Guennadi
---