Re: Proposal for a V4L2 Media Controller mini-summit

Hans Verkuil wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> During the Linux Plumbers Conference in September 2009 I organized a V4L-DVB
> mini-summit. The focus of that summit was on discussing a framework through
> which we could support all the functionality that the video hardware of modern
> embedded devices provides.
>
> It was a very successful summit and a lot of work has been done since that
> time. See this posting for to get an idea of what was discussed for those
> who were not present:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg10136.html
>
> Since that time we have added a new API to support HDTV formats, a new
> event API is almost ready, a lot of work is being done on the media
> controller API with omap3 as guinea pig and Samsung has done work on the
> memory handling of V4L2.
>
> From April 12th to 14th the CELF Embedded Linux Conference is held in
> San Francisco, and it is co-located with the Linux Foundation Collaboration
> Summit (April 14th-16th). Links to these conferences are here:
>
> http://www.embeddedlinuxconference.com/elc_2010/index.html
> http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/collaboration-summit
>
> I will be doing a presentation on the new framework during the ELC.
>
> Since this conference is about 6 months after the mini-summit I consider this
> a good time to organize a new V4L2 Media Controller mini-summit to discuss
> progress and future work in this area. I think that particular attention
> should be given to how we are going to do memory handling. The proposals
> from Samsung have received very little attention and we should discuss those
> in more detail.
>
> I do not know on which dates exactly such a summit can take place. There
> are three possibilities:
>
> April 10-11/12
> April 12-14
> April 14/15-16
>
> I think that registering for the ELC gives to free access to the Collaboration
> Summit, but I'm waiting for a confirmation on that.
>
> I'm not keen on the center option (12-14 April) since that often means that
> you don't see a lot of the conference itself. And the ELC is generally quite
> interesting.
>
> There is another alternative and that is that I organize a mini-summit in May
> in Lysaker (near Oslo, Norway) at the Tandberg offices. But frankly I think
> that it is more fun to do this during/before/after a conference. If only
> because there are a lot of linux kernel experts on hand during such a
> conference that you can ask for help if needed.
>
> Please let me know asap if you are interested in attending such a mini-summit
> and what dates are possible for you:
>
> a: April 10-11 (or 12)
> b: April 12-14
> c: April 14 (or 15)-16
> d: Somewhere in May (suggestions for dates are welcome)

Hi Hans & others,

We at Nokia are very interested indeed in having a mini-summit! The one
in the Linux Plumbers Conference was very useful and I've been looking
forward for the next one awhile. :-)

However, I can't personally commit to any of these dates in April yet.
Option D would be more certain for me. I will know more in a few days.

Regards,

--
Sakari Ailus
sakari.ailus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx