[ANN v2] Media sessions in Lyon in October: future V4L2 work

Hi all,

Since we have three separate half-day sessions for different topics I decided
to split the announcement for this in three emails as well, so these things
can be discussed in separate threads.

All sessions are in room Terreaux VIP Lounge - Level 0.
There is a maximum of 15 people.

The third session deals with future V4L2 API work and is on Wednesday afternoon
from 14:00 to 18:00.

Attendees for this session:

Boris Brezillon <boris.brezillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Alexandre Courbot <acourbot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Nicolas Dufresne <nicolas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Tomasz Figa <tfiga@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Ezequiel Garcia <ezequiel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Daniel Gomez <daniel@xxxxxxxx>
Dafna Hirschfeld <dafna.hirschfeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Eugen Hristev <Eugen.Hristev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Shuah Khan <skhan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Helen Koike <helen.koike@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Jacopo Mondi <jacopo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Niklas Söderlund <niklas.soderlund@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Stanimir Varbanov <stanimir.varbanov@xxxxxxxxxx>
Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xxxxxxxxx>

That's exactly 15 people, so the room is full.

If I missed someone, or you are on the list but won't attend after all, then
please let me know asap.

Agenda:

The main (only?) point of discussion is Boris' RFC v3 patch series:

https://patchwork.linuxtv.org/cover/59345/

Thank you, Boris, for preparing this v3. Much appreciated!

Attendees: please review his series before the meeting!

Tomasz also suggested talking about exiting V4L2 limitations, esp. for
handling complex cameras:

- combinatorial explosion of /dev/video nodes,
- significant ioctl overhead,
- huge amount of historical legacy making the driver and userspace
  implementations overly difficult and prone to repetitive mistakes,
- the above also limiting the flexibility of the API - formats, frame
  rates, etc. set using distinct APIs, not covered by Request API, with
  non-failure "negotiation hell", etc.
- lack of fences, etc.

I suspect we won't have time to discuss this. Would some of these topics
be suitable for the libcamera session?

If someone has other topics (but remember, we only have 4 hours!)
then please reply to this announcement post.

Regards,

	Hans