Re: The potential uninitialized variables used in function isc_interrupt()

On 04.10.2019 06:07, Yizhuo Zhai wrote:
> Hi Eugen:
>
> In function isc_interrupt(), variable "isc_intsr" and "isc_intmask"
> (drivers/media/platform/atmel/atmel-isc-base.c)
> could be uninitialized if regmap_read() fails and return -EINVAL .
> However, they are used to decide the control flow later in the if
>   statement, which is potentially unsafe.
>
> We cannot simply return -EINVAL in isc_interrupt() because it is
> out of the return type: irqreturn_t.
>
> Thanks for your time to check this case.

Hi Yizhuo,

Thanks for your insights. The regmap_read will read directly from
hardware block registers . If it fails, then it's a big hardware
problem, which will lead to a lot of crashes anyway.
If you feel we should initialize the variables to a safe value, I have
personally nothing against it.
Other people on the mailing list have a different opinion ?

Thanks,
Eugen