Re: regression(?) in cxusb

On 9/25/19 8:19 PM, Frantisek Rysanek wrote:
On 25 Sep 2019 at 20:31, Vincent McIntyre wrote:
Hi

I am seeing strange behaviour with the dvb-usb-cxusb.ko module.
Things have been working fine until just recently.

Target system is Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on amd64.
I am using their 'hwe' kernel series.

Symptoms:
  * linux-image-4.15.0-58-generic + media-build from a few weeks ago works
fine
  * linux-image-4.15.0-64-generic without media-build works fine
  * linux-image-4.15.0-64-generic + media build fails
insmod
/lib/modules/4.15.0-64-generic/kernel/drivers/media/v4l2-core/v4l2-common.ko
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'dvb_usb_cxusb': Exec format error

Dear Vincent, I'm not a maitainer, just a fellow user who happens to
keep an eye on this list.
Excuse my somewhat off topic response:

Would you consider compiling a fresh kernel?
What hardware are you trying to use with the cxusb driver?

The linux-media subsystem is pretty vibrant and fast-paced,
fairly serious changes happen between vanilla kernel releases.
In that context, 4.15 sounds oldish...

In the recent past, I recall support for the Mygica "T230C v2" (aka
T230C2) moving from cxusb.c to dvbsky.c, plus a debate about
one or two unrelated fixes to that code (maybe one of them was a
revert of a previous patch). I recall that one of the motivations for
T230C2 to move from cxusb.c to dvbsky.c was better support for its IR
sensor.
I believe this stuff will be present in Linux 5.4 (just pulled into
the vanilla master, within the merge window that's just now open),
possibly hasn't made it into 5.3.
Meanwhile, the directory structure of the source code keeps receiving
"janitoring" changes etc...
=> I suggest that you test some newer kernel, possibly betatest some
5.4-pre/rc to see if those make a difference (if you cannot wait a
few weeks for 5.4.0 release). Or try some 5.2 / 5.3 if you believe
that the recent changes to cxusb/dvbsky are irrelevant to your HW.

Frank Rysanek

Hi Vincent, Frank,

 Could be Ubuntu specific or quite possibly some corruption on local system.

Jan Pieter.