Re: [RFC] V4L2 & Metadata: switch to /dev/v4l-metaX instead of /dev/videoX

Hi Hans,

On 12/09/2019 08:48, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am increasingly unhappy about the choice of /dev/videoX for metadata devices.
>
> It is confusing for end-users (especially w.r.t. the common uvc driver) and
> if we want to change this, then we need to do it soon.
>
> This patch https://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/58693/ adds a new VFL_TYPE_METADATA
> so at least drivers can now explicitly signal that they want to register a
> metadata device.
>
> This also makes it possible to add a kernel config option that allows you
> to select whether you want metadata devices to appear as videoX or v4l-metaX.
> I would prefer to set it to v4l-metaX by default.

I think I prefer this separation (v4l-metaX).

Having metadata as a (separate) videoX seemed odd to me - but I only
saw/was affected by the metadata topics when it was too late it seemed ...

> We can also consider backporting this to the stable/long-term kernels.
>
> Metadata capture was introduced in 4.12 for the vsp1 driver, in 4.16 for the
> uvc driver and in 5.0 for the staging ipu3 driver.
>
> Does someone remember the reason why we picked /dev/videoX for this in the
> first place?

I've wondered why it's not a separate queue on the same video device -
much like we have multiple queues for V4L2-M2M devices ....

The data is relative to the same frames coming from the main queue right ?

That might have been awkward to express through our device type flags
though.

Anyway, I thought the horse had bolted on this topic ?

 :-D

--
Regards