Re: hdpvr.ko kernel 5.3-rc6

On 9/4/19 11:13 AM, Scott Doty wrote:

> On 9/3/19 1:34 AM, Hans Verkuil wrote:
>>
>> Never mind, hdpvr uses read(), not streaming I/O. Of course this
>> doesn't work...
>>
>> Just plain 'cat /dev/videoX >x.mpg' will do.
>>

> Okay, tried that, it produces data that vlc can then play back.
>
> So I think I'm running into a problem with vlc instead of hdpvr. It's
> just weird that mplayer, vlc, and ffplay would all three be unable to
> use it.
>
> I'm at work atm, will plug it back in when I get home and see for how
> long it will read data with cat.
>
> Thank you for looking, now I feel a bit dumb.
>
>  -Scott

Yep, reads indefinitely.

_[/tmp]_(scott@eva)_
$ time -p cat /dev/video2 > out5.ts
^C
real 45.49
user 0.00
sys 0.27
_[/tmp]_(scott@eva)_
$ time -p cat /dev/video2 > out6.ts

Furthermore, I can run "vlc out6.ts",  and it will play the file until
it reaches the end (which it won't, if I keep writing to it).

So this appears to be a problem in userland.  My apologies for reporting
otherwise.

 -Scott