Re: hdpvr.ko kernel 5.3-rc6

Em Wed, 4 Sep 2019 11:13:36 -0700
Scott Doty <scott@xxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

> On 9/3/19 1:34 AM, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> >
> > Never mind, hdpvr uses read(), not streaming I/O. Of course this
> > doesn't work...
> >
> > Just plain 'cat /dev/videoX >x.mpg' will do.
> >

> Okay, tried that, it produces data that vlc can then play back.
>
> So I think I'm running into a problem with vlc instead of hdpvr. It's
> just weird that mplayer, vlc, and ffplay would all three be unable to
> use it.

You can use any of them, provided that it is opened as if it were a
normal file, using the read() interface. For example, this should work:

	cat /dev/videoX | mplayer -cache 8000 -

The thing is that most apps assume that a V4L2 device supports mmap().

This is true for almost all devices, being hdpvr - and pvrusb - two
exceptions.

Thanks,
Mauro