Re: [ANN] Media summit in Lisbon at September

On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 4:29 PM Jacopo Mondi <jacopo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Alexandre,
>
> On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 02:52:13PM +0900, Alexandre Courbot wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 6:40 PM Laurent Pinchart
> > <laurent.pinchart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I will, and so should the whole libcamera team.
> >
> > It seems to be confirmed that Tomasz and I will be attending. Maybe we
> > can come with a list of topics to discuss for all people present?
> >

> Apart from discussing libcamera and hope we could kickstart a review of
> its API, I would like to re-start discussing multiplexed stream support,
> but that would require Sakari to be there, something I'm not certain
> about. Sakari?

I would want to discuss various v4l2_buffer improvements, e.g.
- DMA-buf import with plane offsets,
- unifying the buffer structs for M and non-M formats,
- ability to import different FDs with offets for non-M formats if the
layout matches driver expectations, etc.

Besides that, I would be interested in the general idea on handling
complex cameras in the Linux kernel in spite of the remaining V4L2
limitations, e.g.
- combinatorial explosion of /dev/video nodes,
- significant ioctl overhead,
- huge amount of historical legacy making the driver and userspace
implementations overly difficult and prone to repetitive mistakes,
- the above also limiting the flexibility of the API - formats, frame
rates, etc. set using distinct APIs, not covered by Request API, with
non-failure "negotiation hell", etc.
- lack of fences, etc.

Best regards,
Tomasz