Re: dvb-usb-remote woes [was: HID: ignore afatech 9016]

Ok, that was it, I had the old firmware. Now it works with the patch. I can now see that the afateck driver does not use the HID interface/endpoint (1/83) at all, but vendor specific bulk endpoint (0/81).

The fact that manufacturers have started to more more use the usb vendor class instead of the HID class is probably partly a consequence of HID specification being poorly designed. Oh, well. More work for driver writers.

Anyway, I'm still of the opinion that the ir-to-code translate should be per remote controller not per tv-stick (ideally loaded by kernel from the userspace table, and easily modifiable by userspace program).

All in all the remote controller stack is IMHO a real mess: different level translates (in kernel and in user space), different user program interfaces (keyboard with or without the special keys (many programs recognize only the standard keyboard keys), lircd direct, lircd/dcop). Really easiest is to modify kernel to get what you want. For average user the task of getting remote to do what they want is close to mission impossible. Hope someone would do something about this.

Pekka