Re: Proposed updates and guidelines for MPEG-2, H.264 and H.265 stateless support

Hi,

On Tue, 2019-06-04 at 11:05 +0200, Boris Brezillon wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 10:55:03 +0200
> Thierry Reding <thierry.reding@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jun 03, 2019 at 02:52:44PM -0400, Nicolas Dufresne wrote:
> > [...]
> > > There is one thing that come up though, if we enable per-frame decoding
> > > on top of per-slice decoder (like Cedrus), won't we force userspace to
> > > always compute l0/l1 even though the HW might be handling that ? Shall
> > > we instead pass the modification list and implement the non-parsing
> > > bits of applying the modifications in the kernel ?
> >
> > Applying the modifications is a standard procedure, right? If it's
> > completely driver-agnostic, it sounds to me like the right place to
> > perform the operation is in userspace.
>
> Well, the counter argument to that is "drivers know better what's
> needed by the HW", and if we want to avoid doing useless work without
> having complex caps checking done in userspace, doing this task
> kenel-side makes sense.

I believe we should also try and alleviate the pain on the user-space
side by having these decoder-specific details handled by the kernel.

It also brings us closer to bitstream format (where the modifications
are coded) and leaves DPB management to the decoder/driver, which IMO
makes a lot of sense.

Cheers,

Paul

--