Re: [v8] media: imx: add mem2mem device

Le vendredi 31 mai 2019 à 12:07 -0400, Sven Van Asbroeck a écrit :
> Hello Nicholas, thank you so much for investigating.
>
> On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 11:34 AM Nicolas Dufresne <nicolas@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Now, if that pipeline was live, this would be a problem.
>
> This is where my gstreamer knowledge gets really hazy.
> What does it mean for a pipeline to be 'live' ?
> Would this be a problem when playing a 1080p30 h264
> video from a file?

Playback from file is not live. That basically means that the input of
your pipeline is not paced. You can read it as fast as you can, and you
don't have a limited amount of time to deal with it. An example live
pipeline would be:

  v4l2src ! v4l2h264enc ! rtph264pay ! udpsink

In this case, if v4l2h264 has too much latency, or is too slow, the
capture driver will start skipping captures, loosing information. The
latency is mostly for the case you have multiple streams though (e.g.
audio and video).

Nicolas