Re: bt878 card: no sound and only xvideo support in 2.6.31 bttv 0.9.18

Xof wrote:
> I had the same problem in 2008 when somebody changed tvaudio and I did
> not realize I had to specify new options in my /etc/modprobe.d/bttv.conf
> file.  I wonder why 'bttv card=100' is not enough to specify the
> hardware and what to do with it.  There is an entry 'Hercules Smart TV
> Stereo' in bttv-cards.c.  I am not sure what can be done with
> autodetecting chips on an unknown board.  I agree, this is probably
> complex matter but this mix of specification and autodetection is suspect.

I agree, auto detection for sound seems not to work too well for BT878 cards.

To get sound I have to set modprobe options:

options tda9887 qss=0
options tuner pal=i

although the card is auto detected:

bttv0: detected: Pinnacle PCTV [card=39], PCI subsystem ID is 11bd:0012
bttv0: using: Pinnacle PCTV Studio/Rave [card=39,autodetected]

Would be great if there was a method to fix this.

Al