Re: Support for 2D engines/blitters in V4L2 and DRM

Dear gentlemen,

I've noticed your debate - the topic is something simple enough for
me to superficially grasp and "blitting in the DRI/drmfb" is
something I've been wondering about for a while.
Thanks for sharing your insight.

What actually prompted me to respond is this:
vaguely in the context of your debate, this is what Google has
revealed to my casual query on the topic:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Intel-Mesa-Blitter
-RIP

It's not a blow at the heart of the hypothetical "blitting API in
DRI", but given the market share of Intel, it does look like a splash
of cold water in the broader context, or does it?
If the "DRI blitting API" should go forward, could the Intel DRI
driver in the kernel maybe take inspiration from MESA's approach?

I know I know - Intel may be strongish in the desktop and general x86
market, but apart from the Nvidia vs. AMD wars, Linux actually runs
on a number of non-x86 embedded SoCs that have a plethora of small
proprietary GPU's, the CPU horsepower and RAM bandwidth may be scarce
(though not as a rule), X11 is not mandatory and HW blitting may
actually matter...

Frank Rysanek