Re: PULL http://jusst.de/hg/stv090x

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 9:56 PM, Devin Heitmueller
<dheitmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> That's how a tuner is accessed for "any" dvb device.
>>
>> Yes, but that's not a function is expect to behave. In general, functions handle
>> the lock/unlock inside it, returning the mutex unlocked.
>
> I'm confused - isn't this how pretty much *every* frontend does it's
> locking?  The i2c_gate_ctrl() callback is a standard component in the
> DVB API.  How is what Manu is doing different than any of the other
> DVB drivers?
>
> While I agree that the name "i2c_gate_ctrl" is not what I would have
> chosen, as far as I can tell this is how every DVB frontend does it.

The point there is that it is a dual demod which implements a FSM for
it's tuner flow control and hence. The demodulators in the tree are
generally single/standalone and don't need such a FSM to handle that.
Even if it's a dual frontend, most of them just do locking for the
register access, while here it is not register access locking, while
it is controlling state, similar to Finite State Machine (FSM)

Regards,
Manu