Re: [ANNOUNCE] git tree repositories & libv4l

On Thursday 21 January 2010 03:07:32 Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Brandon Philips wrote:
> >
> > I have a small script I used to convert the history of libv4l to
> > git. Let me know when we are ready to drop them from the hg tree and I
> > can do the conversion and post the result for review.
> >
> > This is the result from the script for just libv4l:
> >  http://ifup.org/git/?p=libv4l.git;a=summary
>
> Seems fine, but we need to import the entire v4l2-apps.
>
> > Also, I suggest we call the repo v4lutils? In the spirit of usbutils,
> > pciutils, etc.
>
> Hmm... as dvb package is called as dvb-utils, it seems more logical to call it
> v4l2-utils, but v4l2utils would equally work.
>
> IMO, the better is to use v4l2 instead of just v4l, to avoid causing any
> mess with the old v4l applications provided with xawtv.

I also prefer v4l2-utils. It certainly should start with v4l2, not just v4l.

> >> Having a separate tree for v4l2-apps would work for me. If possible
> >> with direct commit / push rights, given that I'm doing 90% of the
> >> libv4l work.
> >
> > I am fine with Hans doing this. Thanks Hans.
>
> Ok.

> >> Ugh, I'm no fan of autoconf, but I can see this being handy, any volunteers for
> >> doing this bit ?
> >
> > I started getting libv4l converted to autoconf earlier. If you are OK
> > with it I can provide patches after we get the repo converted.
>
> Seems good enough for me.

> >> Ack, I too think having v4l2-dbg available to end users could come
> >> in very handy to remote debug stuff.
> >
> > Indeed. Any tools that allow us to get insight would be great. Our
> > current debugging tool belt is pretty poor in a lot of cases: lsusb,
> > lspci, dmesg, "does cheese work"?

> > Adopting Documentation/CodingStyle from the kernel with a few tweaks
> > should work. That way we could use existing infrastructure like
> > checkpatch.pl to check incoming stuff out.
>
> Yes, but, as we have also non-c code, some rules there don't apply.
> For example the rationale for not using // comments don't apply to c++,
> since it is there since the first definition.

Most apps are already in 'kernel' style. The main exception being libv4l.

> > Shall we just go through and convert everything at once then? Bulk
> > coding style conversions with cstyle, etc never works 100% and so
> > someone will need to review the diffs by hand. Volunteers with
> > experience doing that?
>
> I have no strong opinion if we should or not convert the code to some
> codingstyle, but, if we do, the better is to do everything at once.

I agree.

> >> I've different experience in the projects with git I've used, as
> >> long as there are some governance rules (like never ever push -f,
> >> always do a rebase fix your stuff and then push, and if something
> >> else got in in the window in between rebase again, etc.).
> >
> > If the group of people with commit access is small (3-4) it generally
> > works well.
>
> Yes. The more people touching at the same tree, the more troubles may happen.
>
> I don't object to allow a limited group of people accessing it, although
> I suspect that, if we open to more than one, we will have more than 4 people
> interested on it.

In practice the only people who regularly touch v4l2-apps are Hans de Goede
(libv4l), you and myself (v4l2-ctl, v4l2-dbg, qv4l2). I can't remember anyone
else contributing regularly to v4l2-apps.

Regards,

	Hans