Re: [ANNOUNCE] git tree repositories

Am Dienstag, den 19.01.2010, 18:38 -0500 schrieb Andy Walls:
> On Tue, 2010-01-19 at 09:10 +0100, Patrick Boettcher wrote:
>
> > BTW: I just made a clone of the git-tree - 365MB *ouff*.
>
> Assuming 53.333 kbps download speed, 0% overhead, no compression:
>
> 365 MiB * 2^20 bytes/MiB * 8 bits/byte / 53333 bits/sec / 3600 sec/hr =
> 15.95 hours
>
> :(
>
> Can git resume aborted clones?  It could be many weeks before I have a
> 20 hour window where I don't have to use my land line phone for voice...
>
> Regards,
> Andy

Hi Andy,

:) please take it only as that.

What about assuming a 1800 kbps low level flat rate and all phone calls
for free, except for some "exotic" ;) mobile net providers, for the
whole family, including a mobile flat, 4 different phone numbers, video
on demand, and much more you don't need, for 30€ per months?

It is always said, we are so much in delay with such here, but seeing
the above calculation, it is ten years back paying for nothing the
triple money and wait for a day. And preferably the phone of course is
blocked during that.

You are living in the USA? Seems sending CDs per express air mail is
much cheaper ..., even using Brazil as a relay ;)

Are you sure, you did not miss to update your provider ten years back
the first time?

We have local traffic since years, leaving Germany in the north, coming
in over there through Canada, crossing the whole States, and coming back
from Florida to arrive a few miles away from me, just because of unused
backbones. Also VOIP calls are quite fine these days, but local
thunderstorms in between are still often a disaster for hours in summer.

Taking the smileys out now, in fact distributions have Gigas of updates
within a few weeks these days. Andy for sure has an argument.

Cheers,
Hermann