Re: media: rockchip: the memory layout of multiplanes buffer for DMA address

Hi Ayaka,

Le mercredi 27 février 2019 à 23:13 +0800, Ayaka a écrit :
> Last time in FOSDEM, kwiboo and I talk some problems of the request
> API and stateless decoder, I say the a method to describe a buffer
> with many offsets as the buffer meta data would solve the most of
> problems we talked, but I have no idea on how to implement it. And I
> think a buffer meta describing a buffer with many offsets would solve
> this problem as well.

for single allocation case, the only supported in-between plane padding
is an evenly distributed padding. This padding is communicated to
userspace through S_FMT, by extending the width and height. Userspace
then reads the display width/height through G_SELECTION API.

For anything else, the MPLANE structure with one of the multi-plane
format can "express" such buffer, though from userspace they are
exposed as two memory pointer or DMABuf FDs (which make importation
complicated if the buffer should initially be within a single
allocation). I'll leave to kernel dev the task to explain what is
feasible there (e.g. sub-buffering, etc.)

Nicolas